Certified Network Cable Installer CNCI®
Demonstrate the highest levels of knowledge, skills and competency in network cable infrastructure. Undertake copper and fibre cabling installation, termination and testing to the highest quality whilst complying to industry best practice and standards to ensure a right first-time approach.
The Certified Network Cable Installer (CNCI®) has become the industry preferred certification for network cable installation and is specified as a requirement on many job profiles and installation project contracts. (Read views from the industry). In addition, manufacturers, major installation companies, associations and consultants endorse the certification knowing that it provides the right level of technical knowledge, competence and confidence to the industry. In recognition of the CNCI® certification many manufacturers also award accreditations towards their product warranties.
It’s a comprehensive ten-day program that blends a perfect mix of technical knowledge and practical activities for both copper and fibre component installation. Official CNCI® certification proves that an individual is certified to undertake network cable infrastructure projects to the highest calibre whilst working to the current national and international industry standards and industry best practice. During the program learners will be provided a valuable opportunity to access the latest industry standards.
Having successfully completed this program, and with the appropriate level of experience, it is highly recommended that you continue your professional development by advancing your knowledge and skills to gain further official certifications and qualifications by progressing through The Global Digital Infrastructure Education Framework which maps education programs to career advancement throughout the network infrastructure and data centre sectors.
The CNCI® program is classroom-based and led by one of CNet’s expert Instructors.
The Certified Network Cable Installer (CNCI®) program is 10 days in duration, however it can be split into two units and taken separately:
Certified Network Cable Installer – Copper Cabling is a 5 day unit
Certified Network Cable Installer – Fibre Optic Cabling is a 5 day unit
Interest Free Payment Option Available for UK Residents
CNet Training now offer up to 12 months interest free payment options for those in the UK. Find out if you are eligible here.
The CNCI® program is perfect for individuals wishing to acquire the very latest skills and knowledge to enable them to complete both copper and fibre cable installation projects to the highest standards. It is relevant to new entrants to the network cable infrastructure sector in addition to those already working within the cable installation environment wishing to formalise their knowledge and skills.
No previous experience is required to attend this program.
Successful learners will have the knowledge and skills to confidently install, test and certify a complete copper and fibre cable installation. This forms part of the entry level requirement into the Global Digital Infrastructure Education Framework which allows learners to progress their knowledge, education and skills in line with their career within these fast moving industries.
View the Global Digital Infrastructure Education Framework.
- Internationally and industry recognised BTEC Level 3 Award Certified Network Cable Installer (Copper)
- Internationally and industry recognised BTEC Level 3 Award Certified Network Cable Installer (Optical Fibre)
- Official Certified Network Cable Installer (CNCI®) certification
- Use of the CNCI® logo
- Use of CNCI post nominal letters after your name e.g. Martin Smith CNCI
- Fluke CCTT® certification
- Eligibility for an ECS (Electrotechnical Certification Scheme) Datacomms Specialist CNCI® card (only available in the UK)
- Continual Professional Development (CPDs)
- 10 IEEE Continual Education Units (CEUs)
- Fluke CCTT® certification
CNCI® Benefits for Individuals
- Become one of the elite certified network cable installers in the country
- Demonstrate the highest levels of knowledge, skills and expertise in network infrastructure installation
- Plan individual tasks and materials required accurately and with confidence
- Install copper and fibre network cable infrastructure projects on time and within budget, maximising profit potential
CNCI® Benefits for Business
- Confidence that employees have a full and rounded knowledge in network infrastructure installation, improving competency and productivity
- Reduced time and material wastage – employees can carry out tasks in an accurate and timely manner
- Delivering infrastructure installation projects to the highest quality standards resulting in increased client satisfaction and potential repeat business
- Meet contractual requirements reducing sign off and project hand over times
“The CNCI® program provides the perfect opportunity for us to get behind a recognised certification that provides the right level of technical knowledge and gives reassurance to customers. The feedback we have had from our staff that have attended the program has been excellent, even those with lots of experience have found the program challenging and rewarding.”
- Operations Director – Redstone Converged Solutions
What are the topics of this program?
- Introduction to Structured Cabling
- Cable media types
- Network topologies
- LAN Hardware
- PC’s, switches, routers
- Installing Structured Cabling
- National and international standards
- Interpreting drawings
- Risk evaluation
- Working in containment routes
- Cable installation, cable termination
- Tool and equipment selection
- Network Overview
- What is a network?
- Characteristics of a network
- Resource sharing
- Signal Theory
- Electrical principals
- DC current principals
- Analogue v digital
- Health & Safety
- Workplace risk
- Electrical safety
- Working at heights
- Working in confined spaces
- Why standards?
- Standards bodies BSI, ISO, CENELEC, TIA/EIA
- Categories and classes
- Fire Safety
- Why fire stop?
- Types of fire stopping
- Three pillars of fire stopping
- Construction Product Regulation (CPR)
- Documentation & Labelling
- Floor plans
- Naming conventions
- Testing & Commissioning
- Continuity testing
- Certification/acceptance testing
- Level IV testing
- Saving of results to database
- O&M manuals
- Patch cord manufacture
- Cable installation
- Termination techniques UTP/STP
- Patch panel/outlet termination, Cat 5e/Cat6
- Fluke CCTT (Copper)
- Copper certification (DSX)
- Set up DSX
- Test using DSX
- Test standards/limits
- DSX Diagnostics
- HDTDX and HDTDR
- Safely Working with Fibre/General safety
- LED, VCSEL, laser safety
- Fibre preparation hazards, disposal of sharps
- Hazardous substances
- OSP safety, pits, gas detection
- General safety
- Network Overview
- History of fibre
- What is a network?
- Benefits of a network
- Why a network?
- Cable construction
- LED, VCSEL, laser sources
- Switches, routers, media convertors
- Theory of Light Transmission
- Optical windows
- Electromagnetic spectrum
- Media choice
- Choice of cable
- Installation practices
- 19” Splice tray
- Slack fibre management, protection, patch field
- Standards bodies ISO, CENELEC, TIA/EIA
- Application distances
- Connector types
- Density (SFF)
- Outside Plant (OSP)
- Fibre backbone in the LAN
- Media choice
- Fibre Splicing
- Fusion Splicer Setup and operation
- Singlemode programs
- Multimode programs
- Splicing in patch panels
- Fibre Termination
- Pigtail manufacture
- Techniques, cold cure, mechanical splice, fusion splice
- End-face inspection techniques
- Fluke CCTT (Fibre)
- Tier 1 fibre certification (CertiFiber® Pro)
- Tier 2 fibre certification (OptiFiber® Pro)
- Encircled Flux (EF)
- End Face Inspection
- Set a reference
- OTDR event types
- OptiFiber® Pro link testing
Certified Network Infrastructure Design Professional (CNIDP®) – designed for telecommunications and data communications engineers with at least 5 years’ experience within the network cabling design and installation environment, and those wishing to extend their skills, knowledge, qualifications and certifications in relation to the planning and design of cable systems within different environments.
Certified Data Centre Technician Professional (CDCTP®) – gain the expertise and skill that is essential in ensuring that the data centre is operated and maintained to the highest possible standards.
Certified Data Centre Design Professional (CDCDP®) – ideal for managers who are seeking to get a greater understanding of the data centre design concepts and principles.